Departure tax on leaving Istanbul? + Prepaid Sim card advice

Travel to, in and around Turkey by plane

Moderator: sinan

Departure tax on leaving Istanbul? + Prepaid Sim card advice

Postby kpc » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:32 am

Many thanks for all the useful info I have learnt from this site with my impending 2 week trip to Istanbul and surrounds. Can someone clarify for me as to whether there is an airport departure tax on leaving Istanbul (is it not included in your air ticket?)and how much it is? If so, does it have to be paid in US$ like my Visa on arrival ?:(

Also, can someone kindly point me as to where (and which type) of prepaid SIM card I should get for my mobile phone for a 2 week trip to Istanbul and suurrounds?

Thanks for your help!
kpc

Postby sinan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:48 pm

Hi kpc,

I didn't understand your question. WOuld you explain?

Can someone clarify for me as to whether there is an airport departure tax on leaving Istanbul?

Turkey uses GSM sim card. If you search sim card you will find many post about this subject

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
sinan

Postby kpc » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:35 pm

sinan wrote:Hi kpc,

I didn't understand your question. WOuld you explain?

Do I have to pay departure tax at Istanbul airport when I leave Turkey? If so, how much is it? Thanks
kpc

Postby luddendenturk » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:00 am

Your departure tax is included in the price of your airline ticket. There is no exit visa to pay, only your entry visa.
luddendenturk

Postby sinan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:00 am

When you buy your ticket from your travel agency you can pay this tax. You do not pay anything extra in Istanbul or your departure city.

Sinan
sinan

Postby steve » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm not sure if the entry visa for aussies is in US$ or Aussie dollars. When I was at Istanbul Airport last summer a couple of australians were having problems paying. I think they were only carrying sterling or something, I can't quite remember. Anyway, the visa staff refused to do anything and referred them to a Euro-dispensing ATM which was broken. They then had to sweat for about 10 mins when the visa manager-typed-bloke offered to take the cash they had, but at a 500% mark-up on the exchange rate.

It's a bit odd, but some countries can pay in a variety of currencies and some, Australia for example, could only pay in one and had no choice even though there are directly comparable rates for other countries.

All I'm saying is that the visa entry is very easy, just as long as you do exactly what it says. You need the exact money in the exact currency asked for, just so long as you do that there are no problems at all. It's when people start asking for change and stuff that it can get a bit difficult.

Oh, and some other kind-hearted traveller gave the two troubled tourists the funds they required.
steve

Postby kpc » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:47 am

steve wrote:I'm not sure if the entry visa for aussies is in US$ or Aussie dollars. When I was at Istanbul Airport last summer a couple of australians were having problems paying. I think they were only carrying sterling or something, I can't quite remember. Anyway, the visa staff refused to do anything and referred them to a Euro-dispensing ATM which was broken. They then had to sweat for about 10 mins when the visa manager-typed-bloke offered to take the cash they had, but at a 500% mark-up on the exchange rate.

It's a bit odd, but some countries can pay in a variety of currencies and some, Australia for example, could only pay in one and had no choice even though there are directly comparable rates for other countries.

All I'm saying is that the visa entry is very easy, just as long as you do exactly what it says. You need the exact money in the exact currency asked for, just so long as you do that there are no problems at all. It's when people start asking for change and stuff that it can get a bit difficult.

Oh, and some other kind-hearted traveller gave the two troubled tourists the funds they required.

Thanks for the warning! I gather from my research that Australians have to pay US$20 EXACTLY for a Visa at the airport. No other currency is accepted apparently :roll:

I have exchanged US$ with this in mind!! Hence, why I was asking whether there was a departure tax on leaving Istanbul 8). I did not want to be in the situation that you have described above :evil:
kpc

Postby steve » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:40 pm

Yep, there's no departure tax. It's always handy though to carry a variety of cash (in my opinion anyway). I found that Istanbul Hotels prefer Euros and often give a better price for Euros, but small inland pensions prefer YTL and if you go somewhere like Esbelli Evi, then US$ is the currency of choice.
steve

Postby MW » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:44 pm

Departure tax: this is normally included in your ticket price. But not always.

I had to pay it only yesterday (I had to pay it because I didn't pay it with my ticket [weird ticket, long story], but I'm the exception here, not the rule). In the remote circumstance that you do have to pay it, your airline staff at check in will direct you to the appropriate counter, normally at the ticketing area. As of yesterday when I paid it, it was 12.50 Euros. I could pay by Euros/credit card or YTL. I paid it in YTL: 25YTL.

Entry visas: there are restrictions on what currency you can pay it in. As an Australian you can pay USD20 or 20Euros.

Incidentally, only UK passport holders can pay in pounds sterling (and it's 10pounds I think). A few unfortunate (continental) Europeans coming from London were caught out by this and they insisted that the Turkish embassy in London told them that pounds would be accepted. Wrong.
MW

Return to Air Travel