Airport transfers

Travel to, in and around Turkey by plane

Moderator: sinan

malcolmcopley

Airport transfers

Post by malcolmcopley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Which is the most reliable of the transfer services to and from Ataturk to the old city?

I need a car from my hotel at 5am, so I need to know it is reliable!

The site recommends Backpackers, is it the best?

Malcolm Copley

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Airport transfers

Post by davcamp » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Malcom,
Transfers are expensive unless your hotel runs a shuttle to the airport.
From the Old City take the tram that runs through Sultanahmet, it will get you to airport in 30 minutes at a cost of 2TL. No traffic, easy ride right into airport terminal.
davcamp

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

The trouble is the metro and tramway only work from 6.00 in the morning; otherwise, I am not aware of direct transport from Sultan Ahmet to the Aiport. A direct taxi shouldnt cost any more than 30 liras or around 15 Euros maximum, so if anyone quotes you a higher charge they are ripping you off!

les

Post by les » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:44 pm

I reserved Backpackers for a hassle free welcome to Istanbul. Unfortunately this service did not live up to their webpage or Tom Brosnahan's glowing description. Yes, we were met by someone with our name on a card and told to wait for our driver at a point away from the mob. After about 25 minutes we began to move away to get a taxi. Suddenly the guy with our name materialized again and said our driver was here. Ok, we and a few other people were sent out to a beat up van driven by someone who couldn't speak much English. When I pointed out that we had been promised to be met by a driver who would help us with our baggage to a private car, not some kind of dolmus shuttle for our 20 euro, we were told to wait there, a new driver was coming. We had had quite enough of waiting, found a taxi, and were painlessly transported to our hotel in Sultanahmet for 32 Turkish lira. Backpackers had the nerve to contact me by email and ask if I was still interested in using their service upon our departure! Their price was about 34% more than the easy shuttle arranged by our hotel.

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:04 pm

I was approached by someone offering a transfer from the airport and I asked would it be cheaper than the normal taxi fare, which I quoted to him; he just said "taksiyle git ağabey" (go by taxi, mate). Generally it is safe to assume that these transfer companies are there to rip you off, and that taxis will be cheaper.

hilsturk

Post by hilsturk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am

I can't agree more about Backpackers service - or lack of. Convinced by Tom's glowing comments and prepared to pay a premium for a safe, comfortable journey, my wife and couldn't have been nore disappointed. Upon arrival we were also put to one side and waited 20 minutes before being ushered to a Fiat car, smaller and certainly more dishevelled than any of the taxis we subsequently used. The driver managed to conduct conversations on two mobile 'phones simultaneously throughout the journey and couldn't even find the hotel. I had to carry the luggage into the hotel. Our return was even worse. At the agreed time, Backpackers rang to say the driver was stuck in traffic and would be with us in 10 minutes. 20 Minutes later they rang again and said their driver couldn't make it! The hotel came to our rescue and arranged a private car / driver. Strangely enough we were met at the airport by a Backpackers rep who insisted we pay him the fee. So the beginning and end of our holiday to Istanbul (which otherwise was excellent) was spoilt by Backpackers. I would definitely advise anyone against using Backpackers for airport transfers and wonder why Tom gives them such high praise.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:25 pm

If it were me and public transport wasn't running I'd take a taxi.

lilij

Post by lilij » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm

If you are looking for airport transfers, ski- transfers are the site that allows you to share your ski transfer requests with all airport providers. The best thing is that there is no commission to pay! You get quotes on airport transfers. You can book directly after you receive airport transfer quotes. For more information: http://www.ski-transfers.com/