Going from int'l terminal to domestic terminal-how much time

Travel to, in and around Turkey by plane

Moderator: sinan

forestchilde

Going from int'l terminal to domestic terminal-how much time

Post by forestchilde » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 am

I am flying in to Ataturk airport and my flight gets in at 4:55 in the afternoon. I know I have done this before but it's been a few years and we had plenty of time to spare between our flight into the country until our flight to Adana that time. This time I'm planning on going to Izmir but would like to take as early a flight as possible. What is the expected wait time to get through the visa line etc on a Sunday afternoon? Anyone know? I don't want to book a flight too early and miss it yet I don't want to get to Izmir too late and have to navigate the route to Kusadasi/Selcuk late at night in a rental car.

My other option is to stay in Istanbul for a couple days and then go to Izmir/Kusadasi...then on to Cappadocia and fly to Istanbul from Kayseri the night before we leave to head back to the US and just stay at the airport since our flight leaves at the ungodly hour of 5:55am! :shock:

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Going from int'l terminal to domestic terminal-how much time

Post by davcamp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Hello,
From when you exit your plane and reach the Visa Purchase office s/b 3 minutes. 10 feet to the left are Passport Kontol lines to enter main part of terminal toward baggage claim (one level down). Hopefully you'll be able to claim your baggage within 30 minutes (I usually do). From here you go up one level and exit the terminal. Out the doors and to the right is the domestic terminal - walk with luggage s/b about 5 minutes.
The domestic terminal is easier to navigate...from the front entry to check-in counter s/b about 5 minutes.. from check in counter to boarding area s/b about 3 minutes.
If all goes well - from the time you exit your plane to your connection boarding area...could be as little as 45 minutes is the airport if not under alot of traffic. I would allow myself a 3 hour window inbetween flights just incase and rest at domestic area while eating some su-borek with tea.

http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul ... anbul.html
davcamp

forestchilde

Post by forestchilde » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks davcamp...I was thinking no less than 2 hours so 3 is probably about right. I think we have decided to just stay in Istanbul at the front end of our trip since we are getting in later in the day. We have also decided we might bypass Izmir/Kusadasi/Ephesus and just fly to Cappadocia, Adana, or Antalya and explore the Mediterranean coast instead of the Aegean coast. There are a few places down that way I haven't been to yet. We will be renting a car wherever we go so we won't be tied to public transport.

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by davcamp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Sounds good.
Safe travels...