Istanbul - Inter-airport transfer time

Travel to, in and around Turkey by plane

Moderator: sinan

CR34M3 CR4CK3R
How many stars? **: 0

Istanbul - Inter-airport transfer time

Post by CR34M3 CR4CK3R » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi,

For the last part of my planned trip to Turkey (30Nov - 14Dec), I need to get back from Trabzon to Istanbul (and then back to South Africa). I plan to take a domestic flight from Trabzon to Istanbul (Sabiha Gokcen Airport), but my flight to Johannesburg leaves from Ataturk Airport. About how many hours should I plan for: from the plane lands at Sabiha Gokcen -> getting baggage and getting out -> transfer to Ataturk -> boarding flight at Ataturk ?

Thanks in advance
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

davcamp

Re: Istanbul - Inter-airport transfer time

Post by davcamp » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Hello,
What time do you get into Sabiha? See below inks for your options.
http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul ... rport.html
I will say this - the shortest route would be to take a cab from Airport to Bostanci. Ride s/b around 15-20 minutes at about 18 Liras (12 USD), to Bakirkoy and from there take a 5 minute cab to airport. Ferries from Bostanci leave about every 30 minutes beginning at 0:615.
Safe travels,
David

CR34M3 CR4CK3R

Post by CR34M3 CR4CK3R » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:50 pm

The flight from Trabzon lands at 14:45 on Sabiha (according to THY) and the flight to Johannesburg leaves at 19:10 from Ataturk. I guess the question boils down to, will I make it or should I reschedule my flights? (or sleep over in Istanbul for the night)
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Hello,
Oh, that's plenty of time. Here is my recommendation:
From Sabiha take HAVAS BUS - they leave about every 30 min. from airport to Taksim. You will find the bus at the exit of the airport where everyone gets picked up. If you need help just ask someone "Havas Otobus?" The bus is a direct ride to Taksim - I don't think they make any stops, so, by the time you clear airport and make it to Taksim s/b about 2.5 - 3 hours. You should be at Taksim at 17:00 - 17:30.
From Taksim where the bus lets you off - transfer to the other Havas bus that will get you to Ataturk airport in 30 min. From Taksim they leave about every 30 minutes also. You should be at Ataturk airport around 18:00.

Please tell me the date you arrive at Sabiha because I prefer Ferry route and can help you fine tune your transit.
davcamp

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:10 pm

I agree with Davcamp, I would use the sea bus from Bostanci, there is a muncipal bus to Bostanci and I think I havaş too. Then you can be in Ataturk airport before 5. If you like take a taxi to Bostanci - may cost 40 liras. Sea busses leave at 16.00, 16.30, 17.00 and 17.30 and take 40 minutes to Bakırköy but the 16.00 has an extra stop at Yenikapı and takes 50 minutes. If you got the 16.30 (gives you plenty of time) then you'd be in Bakırköy at 17.10 and you can catch the Havaş bus there waiting and be in the airport at 17.30-17.40 or so.
There is an endless permutation of different routes but the ferry one is nice for tourists because it is easy, gives views of the city and is very unlikely to go wrong. If you rely on roads to transfer you could be stuck in traffic for 2 hours.