cheap flight to turkey in june 2012?

Travel to, in and around Turkey by plane

Moderator: sinan

kboutiche64

cheap flight to turkey in june 2012?

Post by kboutiche64 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 pm

hi every one , can any one please have any idea where can i find cheap flight to turkey in june ? it looks like with this rate we will be even charged for the air your breath in any airports ?
thanks

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: cheap flight to turkey in june 2012?

Post by SwampeastMike » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 am

From where?

There are very inexpensive flights from many European cities (especially in the UK, Belgium and Germany) with Bodrum and Antalya usually the least expensive destinations.

Turkish Airlines opened new routes from the US last year (Washington D.C. and Los Angeles) into Istanbul and has been offering some incredible fares but they may be long-since sold and not available in June.

If you're flying from the U.S. I HIGHLY suggest Turkish Airlines. Direct flights into Istanbul from New York, Chicago, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles. I find the cost very similar to other carriers that almost always have at least one layover. Sometimes Turkish airlines is a bit more, sometimes a bit less but you get direct flights, good food (yes, good food on an airplane) and no charge for wine, beer or spirits. Coach seating space is reasonable and FAR better than any budget airline.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:10 pm

The problem is that airfares are going up everywhere. Fares are likely to be higher next year than last.

I fully agree with Swampeast Mike that Turkish Airlines is a great airline. They are certainly not cheap, but the service is excellent—you get a lot for your money.

As for airfares from North America, late March is when they seem to begin their rise (eastbound, to Turkey). Mid- to late summer is when they're highest westbound.

Numerous tools can help you choose the lowest fare. American Express's "FareWatcher" utility is one such: it follows fares to your chosen destinations and sends alerts via email. There are others. Here's more:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Air/index.html

Tom Brosnahan

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 am

May of 2011 we scored some fairly decent flights to Turkey flying connecting at O'Hare from a small regional airport. I think even with two flights within Turkey while we were there our tickets clocked in under $1350. I kept checking Travelocity but booked them through a travel agent. In our case I wrote down all the details of the cheapest tickets and had the travel agent book them because we were taking a group of 8 people. The travel agent actually struggled because she wasn't able to immediately call up the flights and connections I had. Upon insisting she keep trying she eventually was able to book the cheaper flight. Ours was a 16 day trip flying into Ankara and out of Istanbul. Our two domestic flights from Ankara to Izmir and Izmir to Istanbul were on Anadolu Jet and dirt cheap.

Tavsan

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:31 am

Airfares are simply nuts these days. My daughter recently bought a Swiss Int'l ticket on Expedia: Nice (France)-Zurich-Istanbul-Zurich-Paris for US$214. The cost breakdown on the ticket showed that the airline would earn $13. The rest was airport, fuel and security fees.

Thus, a lot of the cost comes not from the flight itself, but from the airports used, and whether you check bags (none, one or two), etc.

Tom Brosnahan

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:22 am

We're banking on better rates than those coming up at present. We found great rates last year both to and from Turkey and within Turkey. I was surprised at the rate we got flying into Ankara but departing Turkey through Istanbul. I never imagined we could make that route so affordable.

The big things to watch with the online ticketing through the travel sites 1)the total hours of travel time; 2)connection times; and 3) overnight delays (some tickets are cheap but you spend the night at the airport or a nearby hotel). Tom mentioned the taxes and airport fees . . . don't get me started there! :roll:

Tavsan

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:43 pm

It's important to look at door-to-door costs.

Flights from "alternative" airports may be cheaper, but what's the cost of getting to, or parking at, that airport?

If the fare does not include checked baggage, how much are you likely to pay for that?

And in Turkey, what will it cost to get to your final destination? If you must pay for a private transfer from, say, Dalaman Airport to a little coastal town, the ground transport could cost more than the airfare.

Tom Brosnahan

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:04 pm

I absolutely agree - flight prices this year are nuts and the 'cheaper' alternatives rarely are. THY is silly money for all routes from the UK at the moment. Even the new Gatwick-Ataturk route is ridiculously expensive. I am off to Istanbul in April and have opted for BA. Lufthansa were doing some pretty good fares with a not-too-long layover but for an extra £30 or so I can go direct although I have had to 'subsidise' by outward journey by using a handful of frequest flyer miles. It's such a shame that THY have loaded their fares this year, I'd love to visit more frequently, but £350GBP for a return just doesn't make sense. Similarly, easyJet seem cheap but when you add on the crazy transfer and all the fees there is little in it.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Several years ago Turkish Airlines decided to go for quality rather than quantity. It's now a fine world-class airline, and priced accordingly for international flights.

For domestic flights, there are still bargains flying THY and its cheapo affiliate, AnadoluJet, because there's intense price competition from Atlas Jet, BoraJet, Onur Air, Pegasus Air, SunExpress and others. But you must buy your tickets online from the airline's website, or via a travel agency in Turkey. Here's more:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Air/index.html

Tom Brosnahan

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm

I'd say that from the UK, British Airways and Turkish are incredibly similar. They are both excellent airlines, their fleet is good and both use aircraft you might not normally see on such a short route (A330, 767 etc) so it's a nice seat map to choose from if you travel at peak times! They are the same though - really nothing in it - not even in the schedules. This year however, THY is ridiculously expensive and regularly £150 more than the equivalent BA flight. It's a shame.