from Burgas to Istanbul

Info on guided and independent tours, best routes and itineraries around Turkey

Moderator: sinan

from Burgas to Istanbul

Postby Tom182 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 pm

hello
please can u help me...how can i go from Bursa to Istanbul? what is the best way (train? bus?)..and are there also some direct train/bus?
im going this in 5.9...and i would like to know more
thanks
Tom182

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:09 pm

You say in the title you want to travel from Bourgas (in Bulgaria) but in the text you say Bursa - I presume you meant Bursa.

There are a number of different ways, but by far the fastest way is to take the IDO fast ferry from Güzelyalı (about 7 miles from Bursa) to Yenikapı (near the Sultan Ahmet area of Istanbul). The ferry takes 1hr 20mins. There is a municipal bus between the main bus station in Bursa and the ferry port. It has only just started so many people you ask may not know about it. Follow this link for details http://www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm?page ... =253&ln=en

Alternatively, you can take a bus to Yalova (50mins-1hr) and take the ferry from there to Yenikapı, which takes 1hr 10mins. If you are going to the Asian side of Istanbul, the best option would be to go to Yalova and take the fast catamaran to Kartal (40 minutes) or failing that, the car ferry to Pendik (45 minutes).

Finally, there are many direct busses travelling between Bursa and Istanbul (practically all busses on their way from Istanbul to the Aegean region stop off in Bursa on the way), but the land distance is much longer than the sea distance and they will take around 4 hours (potentially much longer, if there is traffic) to get to the European side of Istanbul and then you'll have to get into the city centre.

There is no train service in Bursa except for the metro system.

Timings for the ferries are available on the IDO website; http://www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm Bear in mind that the Yalova-Kartal route is a "inner-city" journey, but all others are "inter-city".
Michael

Postby Tom182 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:12 pm

oh no im so sorry...i didnt realize i wrote "bursa" in the text :( i was in Bursa last year so maybe that i why it came in to my mind..sorry, but thanks anyway!

i mean BURGAS
how can i go from Burgas to Istanbul???
Tom182

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:40 pm

For Burgas your alternatives are basically bus and hydrofoil.

There are quite a few direct busses going from Burgas to Istanbul throughout the day and night. Actual driving time is only about 5 hours but you can add at least 2 hours for waiting at the border crossing. Probably Metro is the best option, in my experience the other busses doing the journey are not particularly clean and allow smoking, for example. The cost is likely to be around 20 Euros. Link for Metro Busses http://www.metroturizm.com.tr/EN/dishatseferler.asp

The (possibly faster) alternative is the hydrofoil, which is now running once a week (I'm not sure if it will still be operating in September) between Istanbul and Nessebar, which is about 20 miles up the coast from Burgas and close to the resorts. The hydrofoil leaves Nessebar on Friday afternoons and takes 3 1/2 to 4 hours to cross to Istanbul, with the return sailing leaving Istanbul on Saturday at 16.00, cost 68 Euros for a one-way trip. You can get details by calling Morova Turizm on +90 212 248 2550.

You can in theory go by train but it involves a long D-tour inland, and at least two changes, so it is not really a practical option.
Michael

Postby Tom182 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:27 am

thank you much for these information!!
Tom182

Re: from Burgas to Istanbul

Postby Richard » Thu May 22, 2008 11:07 am

Hi Michael,

Can you provide any further detail about the hydrofoil option of getting to Bourgas from Istanbul?

What days does it sail and what times of departure?

Is there a website where I can find more information?

Many thanks,

Richard
Richard

Re: from Burgas to Istanbul

Postby Michael » Mon May 26, 2008 12:49 am

That hydrofoil service has proved elusive but you can try calling the numbers that I provided. I doubt that it will be running but it is worth calling to find out. Bit of a shame really because it is a much shorter distance by sea than it is by land.
At the moment it is a 7hr bus journey - 5 hrs driving time + at least 2 hours waiting at the border.
Michael

Return to Tours & Itineraries