Non Turkish speaking traveller - pls advise

Info on guided and independent tours, best routes and itineraries around Turkey

Moderator: sinan

Non Turkish speaking traveller - pls advise

Postby gutsy88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi - we are planning to travel independently by bus through Eastern Turkey and I have been very much inspired by the forum. However, may I just get confirmation from the gurus that not knowing any other language, other than English is going to be okay for this part of Turkey. Am thinking of visiting Ankara, Cappadocia, Goreme,Gaziantep, Harran, Sanliurfa, Kahta for Mt Nemrut, Amasya and Konya. Plan to take the bus to various places, check into accomodation, join the local tour if necessary and maybe get the hotel people to write my next destination in Turkish so we get the correct bus at the station.We do not have any time constraints. Many thanks.
gutsy88

Re: Non Turkish speaking traveller - pls advise

Postby David Morgan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

You'll be fine. Lots of tourists go to those places without any Turkish. The people at bus stations are always very helpful - there'll probably be someone who speaks a little English everywhere, same with hotels.
Take a phrase book and you'll be able to pick some of the basics in no time.

İyi yolculuklar (bon voyage).
David Morgan

Re: Non Turkish speaking traveller - pls advise

Postby gutsy88 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks Dave for your prompt response. Will go ahead and start planning and may have to get back on the forum at a later stage to get more solid advice. Great forum - keep up the wonderful work.
gutsy88

Return to Tours & Itineraries