sabiha gokcen airport, need to get to istanbul alone

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

emzie

sabiha gokcen airport, need to get to istanbul alone

Postby emzie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:11 pm

hi all
i am arriving at sabiha gokcen airport 2nd march at 13.10 and need to get to the otogar bus station istanbul to get a coach to fethiye.
how do i get to the otogar from the airport?
i have never been to istanbul before i am a women travelling alone and quite nervous about it.
any help would be much apprechiated

thanks in advance

davecamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: sabiha gokcen airport, need to get to istanbul alone

Postby davecamp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Emzie,
Take a cab for 20 min to Bostanci Ferry Station and ferry to Yenikapi. From there take another cab for 15 minutes.
Usually I don't recommend cabs due to traffic but you'll be commuting in lesser dense areas non-rush hour.
Exit airport terminal into a cab say Bostanci Iskelesi "Bost-ahn-jeh Isk-ehl-ehs-eh." You can copy this page and highlight the station names to show to cab driver. You arrive at 1:30 and by the time you clear customs, etc it s/b about 45 min. The ferry from Bostanci departs at 4:30 and makes one stop at Kadikoy before you exit at Yenikapi. Ferry trip time s/b about 30-40 minutes. You s/b at Yenikapi station around 5:15.
From there get in a cab and say "Buyuk Otogar" "Boo-yook Oh-toh-gahr".

Another choice would be to take Havas Bus (in front of airport terminal) to Taksim. and from there take a 15 min. cab to Bus Garage.
Bus ride takes about 2 hours for nice view crossing the Bosphorus Bridge. They leave airport about every 30 minutes at cost about 23YTL flat rate.
If you use common sense there is no need to worry about your personal safety. Be sure to get Liras in the airport ATM's!

Check your bus departure schedule to see what works best for your connection. I prefer Ferry route for a slight time advantage. Either route you take s/b about same money overall. Let me know if you need anything else?
davcamp
http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul ... ut_Me.html
davecamp

emzie

Postby emzie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 pm

thanks for the info
thinking of getting the havas bus. when i arrive in taksim, would i be able to get a bus or metro to the otogar?
thanks

suppiluliuma

Postby suppiluliuma » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 am

Are you going to the other side only to get a bus to Fethiye?
Why?
There's a Metro Bus base very close to Sabiha Gökçen Airpport.
Besides all major bus companies have centers around Asean side.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

davecamp

Postby davecamp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Bus to Ototgar???
Yes you will. From where Havas drops you off in Taksim - walk south (toward rear of bus) and at the end of the block turn left into Taksim Square where you will a see a large bus depot. There are buses that leave for Otogar every 15-30 minutes. Find a young person (under 30) and ask in english which bus leaves to Ototgar. Don't be discouraged if the first person you ask will not help, ask another.

You may look a the signs at the bus departure kiosks for "Otogar." I prefer still a 10-15 minute taksi from Taksim for about 10YTL.

http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul.info/Sabiha_Gökçen_Airport.html
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=271272653353

Let me now if you need anything else?
davcamp
davcamp2012@gmai.com
davecamp

margaretp

Postby margaretp » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm

You really do not need to go to main otogar on European side, as earlier member says, either get to Metro hub or Kamil Koc hub by taxi or even public transport (thats what we do if we are taking the bus to Fethiye) on Asian side.

If you have some time to kill and want to see a bit of Istanbul, then the main otogar is probably better.
MPD

davecamp

Postby davecamp » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:43 pm

I think she already has a connection scheduled in Buyuk Otogar. That is what her initial query seems to relay which Is why I replied to her in thus manner.
We'll see what she says when she replies with clarification.
davcamp
davecamp

Return to “Women Travelers in Turkey”