moving to ankara in september

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

moving to ankara in september

Postby mamacita » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Greetings to all!
I am new to this forum and reading the posts has been extremely helpful, I will be moving to Ankara to continue with my studies and have not yet visited the country. I will be leaving in a month exactly and have questions regarding places to stay while the university solves the living arrangements. I would like to be informed of hostels or pensions in the city, I am on a tight budget but think there is something out there to accommodate me. I do not want to spend more than 20 dollars a day for a room, this may seem low but I have travelled and paid far less in other countries. I hear Turkey is not expensive but I just do not know what to expect.

Also, I found a one way ticket for 730 US dollars, is this good? I have no notion of what the prices should be like this time of the year.
I know other people have commented on tattoos, that it is not a big deal for women to have them, but is this true for Ankara? I am Mexican and have been to some of the smaller towns in my country and do get stares, I have an aztec deity on my left shoulder and back, and a glyph on my right shoulder. Is it common for women to use tank tops (not low rise tanks) just a regular shirt but sleeveless? If it isn't I do not want to take many..

I would like to know what Ankara is like in the winter, I will be there from september 2007- to august 2008 and want to take appropriate clothing. Do I need boots for the winter? I was planning to take my good 'ol wallabees, since they're leather and water resistant but if it snows heavily they may be unfit.

I have many many questions, I know, but will appreciate any feedback. I have traveled much but this is my first time traveling to a country like Turkey, and I could not be happier. I am mostly interested in experiencing how much my life and identity as a woman will differ, I am from a northern part of Mexico- very close to the U.S. and have never had to think twice about wearing low-cut shirts or smoking/drinking in public. I know I definitely will be more aware of what I choose to wear, and this does not bother me at all. I am very open and very sensitive to the places I do visit.

And last, are tampons easily available in Ankara?

Thanks to all for reading and I look forward to the responses! :wink:
mamacita

Postby suppiluliuma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Hola. If you don't mind I am a man and native, I'd like to give you some information in reply to some of your questions.
First of all, it is impossible to find a safe and liveable accomodation for 20$. There are such cheap places, but you may receive insistant male guests knocking (!) on your door and i don't tell the atmosphere of the neighbourhood. Sorry but Turkey is not cheap any longer. I suggest to make a few good friends for sharing a flat.
Sorry I have no idea about ticket prices but I'm sure somebody here will tell you.
Don't worry about tattoos, nowadays it's very trendy in Turkey. My wife and I have tattoos, and one of my best friend is a tattoo artist. I'm helping him preparing the English version of his web site and running the communication with international customers.
Ankara is the capital and second largest city of the country; full of universities which means full of young students. Also don't worry about what to wear, you can wear anything as you like unless when hanging around the outskirts of the town.
Ankara is very cold in winters; snowy a few days but prepare yourself for (-) degrees.
In spite of the fact that islamic style of living is trendy nowadays, still your life will not differ too much comparing to Mexico. Smoking and drinking are the integral parts of a youngster's daily life :) , but in the right time, right place. Don't worry, you'll learn everyhting so quickly. :wink:
Please forgive me but the last question is the funniest :lol: What do you think for god's sake, having a journey to the past centuries? Many brands and models available, I recommend Orkid as brand, chose the model according to your personal criteria :lol:
I'm sure you'll enjoy your time :)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are
suppiluliuma

Postby mamacita » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:35 am

Muchas gracias (many thanks) Suppiluliuma,

my tampon question might seem funny, but when I was in Cuba they were hard to find, so that's where that came from :wink:

Thank you for your advice!
I know the 20 dollars might be too low, I just need a place to stay for the first week or so, since after that my university will place me in the dorms. I am not too excited about a dorm situation and would like a flat but will see that once I arrive. Anyone know of house-stays in Ankara? It would be really nice to stay with a family.

I know there are water shortages in Ankara now, I have been reading the Turkish Daily News (the only English news I could find) and maybe this will make house stays not possible. Growing up in Tijuana (without a water pump) when the water would disappear for days was not fun so I cannot imagine anyone having a guest over when there is no (or little ) water.

Anywhoo...good info. on the weather, I have never lived in a place that has - degrees in the Winter! I'm in for a surprise!
mamacita

Postby suppiluliuma » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:56 am

Actually, I've seen much funnier questions, some people think that we live in desert, riding camels and having six wives. :lol:
It's a good idea to stay with a family. I'm sorry I can't help you in this case, because I don't live in Ankara.
Yes, water shortage is a very big problem, the country is drying. Especially Ankara is in the most critical situation and nobody knows how and when the municipality can bring a solution.
I wish you good luck :)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are
suppiluliuma

Postby David Morgan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:45 pm

suppiluliuma wrote:riding camels
One of the strangest things I've ever seen is a camel fight (somewhere near Ödemiş (I think) in '82).
David Morgan

Camel wrestling

Postby ptemiz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:25 pm

David

Camel wrestling is still big business in the south west of Turkey. Takes place in the spring. We have more photos and an account of a fight on http://www.fethiyetimes.com - you'll have to search for it as I can;t remember where it is.

Pat
ptemiz

Postby Tosun Saral » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:22 am

Dear Suppi gave you very good information.

I am living since 1953 in Ankara. Here is a very good page about Ankara
http://members.virtualtourist.com/vt/z/3/1c4b87/

My avatar will give you a idea how women wear in summer.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7d696/

You will be happy in Ankara. Ankara and Turkey is a civilized land. You can have what ever you like. You can do what ever you like to do. You can dress according your taste.
have a good time in Ankara. You will feel yourself as in home.
Don't die before visiting Turkey
Tosun Saral

Return to Women Travelers in Turkey