Marriage certificate to book a hotel room

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

Marriage certificate to book a hotel room

Postby chicaurbana » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:41 am

Hello everybody. First of all I’d like to apologize because I am not a native English speaker (I am Spanish) and I might make some mistakes. This is also my first time in the Turkey Travel Planner forum. So, here it’s my question. My boyfriend lives in Istanbul and this will be the first time we’re staying in a hotel. So we’ve been checking for prices and availability in different hotels and zones of the city, and they asked us for a marriage certificate. Why? I mean, in the 70’s here in Spain also marriage certificate were requested to couples to book a hotel room. Why are they afraid? I’ve seen lots of prostitutes in Istanbul’s streets and I guess they want to defend and keep their reputation as good hotels. Could anybody explain a bit more about it? Thank you very much.
chicaurbana

Postby steve » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:52 pm

I've never heard of this happening. Maybe you're giving them too much into when making the booking. Nevertheless it's new to me!
steve

Postby Jeanne » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:01 am

Hi chicaurbana,
I have heard this only once happened to a friend of mine, but in a small village somewhere near Izmir, but for Istanbul I don't think this is appropriate.
I wonder did it happen from all the hotels or special districts? And they ask it just after you enquire for prices? I don't think any hotel in Sultanahmet will ask you this question.
Enjoy yourselves in Istanbul!
Jeanne

Postby chicaurbana » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, Jeanne, the hotel is in Laleli district. It's a 4 star hotel. Since we alread knew this, we asked later for prices and availability in a hotel in Kadıköy district, and they said that marriage certificate wasn't necessary and not even to make any "annotation" about our marital status :) What do you think? :?: Thank you.
chicaurbana

Postby Jeanne » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi again,
so if I understand correct you are the one who asks if they need a wedding certificate in whichever form?
The first time I visited istanbul was with my Dutch partner to whom I was not married, actually we travelled quite a lot in Turkey and never had any problem and no one ever asked if we were married. I think maybe sometimes the problem arises when one of the two is Turkish.
In the meantime I am married to a turkish man, we travel sometimes in Turkey me with my Dutch pasport and he with his Turkish and we never had any problems.
Then second I would like to say go for the Kadikoy hotel, the area is so much nicer compared to Laleli. Laleli is more Russian than Turkish, you can walk to Sultanahmet but taking the ferry from kadikoy has much more charm.
Have a very nice time!
Jeanne

exceptions do not break the rule

Postby aresoncharge » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:53 pm

chicuarbana says the truth about that exceptional applications in some hotels in istanbul.. but it's not something general.. according to me it's about some exceptional hotel's costumer politics.. some of the owners are religious types and don't want to recieve couples without a marriage certificate.. i don't think there is that kind of hotels in istanbul more than 10-15.. istanbul is a modern city for sure.. but there are some exceptional old fashioned brains as u can find all arround of the world.. and exceptions do not break the rule mi vida:)
golden_kid
aresoncharge

Marriage certificate in some countries

Postby Happy2Bmarried2aTurk » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:30 am

I don't know about Turkey, but in some countries, a marriage certificate for a hotel stay is required if one person is a native of that country. If both people are non-natives, it's not required. Again, I don't know how it is in Turkey.

Take care,

Happy
Happy2Bmarried2aTurk

Postby suppiluliuma » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:13 am

Nobody asks a marriage certificate in touristic places, and high rank hotels. Only conservative owners, and such state owned (TURBAN) facilities like Balçova thermal hotel. Once they didn't let one of my friend and his wife in, because they didn't have the marriage certificate with them :x Better to have it, just in case, wisely.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are
suppiluliuma

Return to Women Travelers in Turkey