Positive feedback for TTP. Thanks for the help!

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

Positive feedback for TTP. Thanks for the help!

Postby lynnedillman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:30 am

Great resource with lots of helpful information on navigating a trip to turkey. We spent two weeks and traveled to Istanbul, cappadoccia, Antalya, Olympos, and did a blue cruise from Olympos to Fethiye. What a beautiful country. We encountered so many friendly people and it was surprisingly easy to navigate. Great public transportation system – shuttles, dolmuses, tramways, buses, domestic flights. The tourist boom is a bit overwhelming and gets a little annoying at times, but that is no different than any other tourist destination.

Special thanks to turkeytravelplanner for recommending backpacker travel for airport transfer in Instanbul. We flew into SAW and had a flight out of AST the next morning. The 2 airports are about 90 minutes away from each other on opposite sides of the city. Called backpacker travel to arrange the pick up and transfer on the same day as the flight. Worked out perfect and cost less than advertised (€50 for 2 people). Travel tip – for domestic flights in turkey, it is cheaper to fly on a discount airline from SAW, but not much of a real savings. It’s a farther drive and you pay more in airport transfers.
lynnedillman

Re: Positive feedback for TTP. Thanks for the help!

Postby nikki555 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 am

Wholehearted agreement -- Thanks for the terrific site. My husband and I just came back from a spectacular 11-day trip that included Istanbul, Goreme and Selcuk/Ephesus. I was able to do virtually all of the planning on-line in advance (using this and other sites), and everything went exceptionally smoothly. We used the TTP-recommended airport transfer company (Backpackers Travel) upon our arrival in Turkey. It was a convenient, efficient option that enabled us not to have to worry about figuring out the local transportation options immediately while we were jet-lagged. Since we flew to several regions, we made the trip from the Old City to the airport four times. The other three times we used a taxi, because it was considerably cheaper. We only had one issue: on our final trip back to the airport the taxi driver assumed we weren't paying attention to the meter. I handed him a 50-lira note, from which he gave me 10 liras change. When I pointed out that the meter said 36, he quickly coughed up the other 4 liras.
nikki555

Return to Travelers' Reports