Bus travel from Ataturk Airport to Bursa

Info on travel by bus to, in and around Turkey

Moderator: sinan

Bus travel from Ataturk Airport to Bursa

Postby newlyadventurous » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:56 pm

Hello ALL! :)

Just curious.. I saw Tom's information on how to get to the bus station etc, from Ataturk Airport (Istanbul) and I saw other posts about bus travel in general, however Im curious..... I am flying from Miami and I know it will be a hell of a flight.... and I going to be exhausted by the time i get to traveling on a bus from Istanbul to Bursa but I wanted to know... how much walking is involved in getting from Ataturk airport to the bus stations etc. Are the bus stations fairly close to Ataturk airport?? How much of an event is it going to be to get on a bus and travel to Bursa? Im just curious.. this will only be my 2nd trip to turkey and on my first trip.. i flew the whole way.. no buses involved.. and living in Miami you can imagine.. Im not used to bus travel at all... :roll:

Then are the buses comfortable?? A/C etc. I read that it will be about 2.5-3 hour bus ride. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Will I be able to put my luggage somewhere on the bus??? :?:

Please somebody help me with some info... I've read the posts and not completely clear on all the stuff i'm asking.. :D

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
newlyadventurous

Postby Jeanne » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:34 pm

Hi there,

the busstation is not close to the airport at all!
Walking is out of the question. The busses leave from the main busstation one on the european side and they make one more stop on the Asian side.
The European 'Otogar' is quite close near Sultanahmet and Taksim.

I did not travel by public transport in istanbul, either we drive in our car or we take a taxi, so I hope someone else can help you out there.

Good luck!
Jeanne

Postby MW » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:34 am

Comfort: as Tom says, the buses are modern and comfortable. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Airport to the Otogar: take the Metro. Here's a map showin how many stops you'll have to take: http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Maps ... o_map.html It's a short walk from Arrivals to the actual Metro - it's part of the airport and it's clearly signed.

How much of an event is it going to be to get on a bus and travel to Bursa?: apart from the jet lag, it's not going to be a big drama. The most challenging bit will be navigating around the otogar because it is big and can be confuing. Don't be put off but sales persons approaching you - they're usually very helpful. Tom lists here http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Wher ... table.html the ticket offices at the otogar. I can recommend Nilufer for the ride to Bursa - peron 105 -106. They (like alot of the companies) even have an e-ticket facility on the website if your Turkish is up to it! Even if it isn't you'll be able to check out the departure times (and likewise for the other companies that go to Bursa).

Baggage: no worries. You'd be amazed what goes underneath and the attendants will be quite helpful. They'll probably give you a ticket for each bag so that bag and owner can be matched on arrival. Make sure you have a book or whatever in a small "carry on" sized bag.

Is there anything I need to be aware of? No, not really. If you're a man they might try to ensure that your seated next to another man and not with a single woman. Umm... that's about it. The food and drink on the bus are free. I had a nice ice cream last time with Nilufer: yum. When you arrive at Bursa are people picking you up? If not you'll need to catch a bus or a taxi into town itself because the otogar is a little way out.
MW

Travelling from Istanbul Airport to Bursa

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:06 am

If you are going from the airport to Bursa, the quickest way would be to go to Yenikapı which is only 10-15 minutes from the airport by taxi (it is also possible to take the metro to Aksaray and then walk for about 15 minutes to Yenikapı), and then take the fast ferry to Yalova, which takes 1 1/4 hours (timetables on http://www.ido.com.tr). There are continuous busses from Yalova to Bursa which take about 1 hour.
Taking the direct bus from Istanbul's otogar to Bursa will certainly take longer especially if there is bridge traffic, which is most of the time.
Michael

Return to Bus Travel