Toilets in Turkey

Feedback from travelers recently returned from Turkey: what's good, what's bad, what they found

Moderator: sinan

Toilets in Turkey

Postby gwynaeth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:26 am

I was a bit worried about the toilets in turkey but found every toilet to be very modern - even more so than those here. Many of them actually had saran wrap type material on the seat and a lever that automatically moved the wrap around so you had a fresh toilet cover every time. Most places also had automatice paper towel dispensers. I didn't find any old-fashioned toilets in Istanbul or in the Bodrum area.
gwynaeth

Postby steve » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Squat toilets however are very common anywehere east of Safranbolu with the exception of Cappadocia and costal resorts.
steve

Squat Toilets everywhere we went

Postby lullah75 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:05 pm

For the record, we encountered squat toilets in every town we visited including Istanbul. The trick was there was often also a flushing toilet in another stall (obviously often occupied). So my advice is don't just settle for the first door open if you are really adverse to using the squat toilet. In the end they were not that bad.
lullah75

Turkish Toilets

Postby turkeytom » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Here's the page, in the often-overlooked "Travel Details" section:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Toilets.html

Tom Brosnahan
turkeytom
Site Admin

Postby carrie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:04 am

Hi all,

Do visit the above link for great info about the squat toilets. One tip however, roll or turn up the cuffs on your pant legs or they might get wet !!!! Tom's comments are correct in saying that they are the most hygenic.
carrie
TTP Expert

toilets

Postby Lauraj » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:05 am

Ah, I wish I could understand how a woman uses the squat toilet and uses the pitcher of water to wash her bottom. when trousers are pulled down. I never got the hang of that. I even asked our female interpreter and she explained, but I still never could figure it out.

One thing I came to respect is the emphasis on cleanliness the Muslims have, so I think this must be a more clean way to handle bathroom duties, but I just didn't get the logistics.

And I'm not asking for a detailed explanation here!

One thing...always have a packet of tissues with you when you go to the bathroom. Most of the time I found there was no tissue.

And I was surprised to read a person who didn't see many squat toilets. I found the reverse to be true on my trip. Even nice hotels, in their lobby bathrooms, had squat toilets.

Have a great trip!
Lauraj
Lauraj

Postby margaretp » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Just a quick one! why doesn't the rest of the world adopt the built in bidet!!
MPD
margaretp

Built-in Bidet

Postby turkeytom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:29 pm

why doesn't the rest of the world adopt the built in bidet!!

Good question. Why have a whole separate device and installation for a sanitary function that can be incorporated into the standard commode?

For anyone wondering what we're talking about, here's the page:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Toilets.html

Tom Brosnahan
turkeytom
Site Admin

Postby margaretp » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:43 pm

One question that I would love answered regarding this simple and ,oh so efficient contraption, is this a 'muslim' invention, or 'Turkish'? I have only been in Morocco and Tunisia, no other Muslim countries and don't remember seeing the little spouts!!
MPD
margaretp

Postby Tavsan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:41 pm

I think we can credit the bidet to the French and my guess would be it has been around for a while. I imagine it was a big splash when it was first introduced. :lol: I think it was invented for French royalty and you can thank one of my Euro-history teacher for that one if memory serves correctly.

Tavsan
Tavsan

Next

Return to Travelers' Reports